San Diego Humane Society.
Back to School may be music to a parent’s ears, but it can be a tough adjustment for pets who have become used to long summer days of constant entertainment while the kids are home.
“When pets get bored they can exhibit destructive, anti-social or anxious behaviors,” said San Diego Humane Society’s Community Training Coordinator, Shauna Romero. “Though toys can’t replace human contact and socialization, there are many things you can do to help keep your pets happy and entertained while the kids go back to school.”
How to Curb Back to School Boredom for Your Pets:
Enrichment Items for Dogs
- Kongs/Buster Cubes: Stuffed toys with high-value treats, small amounts of cheese, dog food, etc. can be made ahead of time and put in the freezer until you’re ready to use them.
- Hiding Food/Treats/Toys: You can hide treats and toys around for them to find.
- Positive-Reinforcement Training: Encouraging your dog to work and think for their treats is a fun activity for both you and your pet!
Enrichment Items for Cats
- Window Perches: Allow your cat access to a perch in front of a window so they can watch the outside world.
- Bags/Decorated Boxes: Cats are curious creatures and love exploring paper bags and boxes. You can make boxes more interesting by attaching pipe cleaners, cat toys, etc. Just be sure to cut off bag handles to ensure that they don’t get tangled.
- Streamers/Ribbons: When hanging or attached to fans or vents, these can provide loads of entertainment for our feline friends.
- Hiding/Quiet Napping Areas: Cats also enjoy quiet time and need a place to hide and recharge. Cat trees and places for them to hide and relax are essential to a cat’s wellbeing.
San Diego Humane Society’s certified trainers are always available! You can speak with a trainer directly for any behavior-related questions regarding your pet(s) by calling the Behavior Helpline: (619) 299-7012, ext. 2244. For more tips and information about upcoming training classes at San Diego Humane Society, visit www.sdhumane.org.[igallery id=1916 cid=257 pid=1 type=category children=0 addlinks=0 tags= limit=0]