If you want to make a contribution to your local animal shelter or rescue, start with our top 8 recommendations for items that are always needed:
- Food and treats: In addition to traditional dry and canned pet foods, many shelters also need canned tuna and baby food with meat for sick cats.
- Towels and blankets: Typically, cages are made of metal, which is not warm. Blankets and towels are needed to help line flooring and cages where the animals are kept.
- Food and water bowls: Food and water bowls often go overlooked when it comes to donations, but they are necessary to serve the animals their meals.
- Cleaning supplies: This can include wipes, powdered laundry detergent, bleach, dish soap, paper towels and tissues.
- Flea and tick medicine: Many animals who show up at shelters are infested with fleas and ticks. Medication is essential to prevent them from spreading.
- Collars and leashes: To keep the animals in-shape and in the best spirits possible, they need to be taken out but that is very difficult to do without the right equipment.
- Toys: While it might sound like a luxury, toys are a necessity for these animals who typically have too much pent up energy.
- Money: Monetary donations are necessary for any shelter so they can buy all of the supplies they need.
Donating any of these items to your local shelter will be greatly appreciated and make an important difference for the animals who reside there. Check with your local shelter or rescue and confirm their needs, or if something unique is needed.