Holiday Safety.

It’s the most wonderful time of the year, and we hope you are enjoying the season, but there are a number of potential dangers you should not overlook and help your pets be safe. Here are the top dangers to avoid taking your pet to the emergency room.

1. Toxic Holiday Plants- Pine Needles, Mistletoe and Poinsettia if digested can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and lethargy. Be aware and keep these plants away from your pets.

2. Ornaments and Tinsel- Be aware and make sure your pets cannot reach. Ingesting tinsel and ornaments can lead to blockage in the intestines.

3. Food- Certain holiday foods can be toxic to your pets, such as turkey bones can cause vomiting and diarrhea as well as if bones are swallowed can cause pancreatic which is inflammation of the pancreas.

4. Wires- Make sure to keep wires and batteries out of your pet’s reach. A wire can deliver a potential electrical shock and a perforated battery can cause burns to the mouth and esophagus.

5. Holiday Festivities- Give your pet a quiet space or room to retreat with fresh water and food as guests arrive and doors are left open so pets do not escape and get lost. Remember that loud noise levels can terrify pets.

6. Alcohol- Pets should never ingest alcohol because alcohol depresses the nervous system. Vomiting, disorientation, and lack of breathing are a few of the things that can happen. Be aware and make sure to keep alcohol at paws reach.

7. Liquid Potpourri- Easy enough to lick and be ingested but it is very hazardous. It can cause ulceration and chemical burns to the surfaces within your pet’s mouth and along their digestive tract.

[igallery id=76 cid=251 pid=1 type=category children=0 addlinks=0 tags= limit=0]