Providing and new home and adopting a dog is a beautiful experience, but also a huge commitment. To help ease that stress of adopting a new puppy here are some tips to ensure a smooth transition.
1. Find a reputable shelter: Adopt do not shop! There are so many dogs who are looking for forever homes. Visit one of the many shelters like the San Diego Humane Society or Helen Woodward Animal Center and find your new best friend.
2. Give the dog enough personal space: Have the dog explore the house and a place to feel safe while they are adjusting. Some ideas are utilizing a crate or a pet gate to block off a room just for him. Always make sure to keep the kids and other pets out for the time being.
3. Supplies: Make sure you have a leash, collar, ID Tag, food, and water bowls, treats, toys, and waste bags.
4. Establish a Routine: Set a schedule throughout the day for walks, playtime, training, feeding, and potty time.
5. Vet Check: Make sure to visit a vet for a health check and to update all their vaccinations.